[Rd] [R] choose folder interactively

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Wed Nov 28 15:50:07 CET 2012

On Nov 28, 2012, at 8:56 AM, Prof Brian Ripley <ripley at stats.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

> On 28/11/2012 13:43, R. Michael Weylandt wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 28, 2012 at 12:47 PM, Duncan Murdoch
>> <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> "choose.dir()" does exist on Windows, so you could switch to that OS, or
>>> write your own equivalent for MacOS.

Unfortunately choose.dir() is one of those hacks that were added without any plan. Ideally, it should be deprecated and replaced by a proper solution (we have those bad platform-specific hack both in the Mac and Windows camps - equally bad). In this particular case it should not be hard, because the name is counter-intulitive, so adding an argument to file.choose() along the lines file-only/file-or-folder/folder-only (which I would ague for) or adding a dir.choose() function that can be relied upon is possible. The implementation is not the problem since we already have cross-platform implementation for file.choose(). While at it, we may also consider adding a flag for allowing multiple items selection...

Cheers,
Simon