[Rd] R 2.15.2 still missing two files useful with the X11 icon patch

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Oct 26 16:07:09 CEST 2012

Congrats on getting 2.15.2 out on schedule. Debian builds have been uploaded.

It is my understanding that Phil's patch for the X11 logo -- so promimently
featured as the first item in the NEWS file for the release -- offers more
when two extra files are supplied.  I have supplied these for the Debian test
release, for our 2.15.1-* releases and again now.  We install these files as

	 /usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/rlogo_icon.png
	 /usr/share/applications/R.desktop

and I would urge R Core to do the same so that users of other binaries get
the same benefit.  I have in fact mailed twice already before about this.  As
I understand, with the 'desktop' files and the png it references, menus
showing R as an entry get more meta info, and a crisper (png) logo.

Now, the NEWS file entry is also half-incorrect. The benefit of the patch is
visible in Ubuntu, nomatter which desktop env you use, but not limited to
it. Even under Windows 7, the taskbar now supplies the R icon when the
patched Debian / Ubuntu build is used --- but not with an rpm build of 2.15.1
where the generic x11 icon is shown.  Having R windows visually identified as
such is very useful, no matter the Linux or X11 flavour. And that is what
Phil's patch does this: adds the feature no matter the X11 GUI or desktop
environment.

Dirk