[Rd] Empty package skeleton

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Sun Apr 14 21:11:38 CEST 2013

    > On 14 April 2013 at 14:10, Renaud Gaujoux wrote:
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | I know this has been reported/asked before (
    > | http://tolstoy.newcastle.edu.au/R/e15/devel/11/10/0831.html) but it would
    > | still be just nice to have a fix for the not user-friendly fact that one
    > | cannot create a completely empty package skeleton (see previous post for a
    > | suggested patch).
    > |
    > | In the same vein, I would add to the original suggestion from Herve Pages
    > | that it would be nice to have a quick way to create an empty package
    > | skeleton, skipping all objects possibly defined in .GlobalEnv, e.g.
    > | "package.skeleton('pkg', NA)", although I believe Herve's patch would
    > | automatically allow/handle a call like "package.skeleton('pkg',
    > | character())".
    > |
    > | Conclusion, nothing urgent, which could be done in 1min spare time, but
    > | could save 1min to many friendly future package developers :)

    > I am also willing to help here as I do not like the fact that the generated
    > Rd file itself is broken.  A hint from R Core that clean patches would be
    > taken would be welcomed...

yes,  such patches to package.skeleton   would be welcomed.

I think we had never thought to make package.skeleton() into a
basic, fully-logic, high-standard, ..da-da-da..,.... R function
but rather as a simple way to get beginning package writers
started.
But I have found (in teaching) as well the need for more
"logical" behavior of package.skeleton().

Martin