[Rd] package file permissions problem R 3.0.0/Windows OS

John Fox jfox at mcmaster.ca
Sun Apr 14 23:17:41 CEST 2013

Dear list members,

I'm experiencing a file permissions problem with a package built under
Windows with R 3.0.0. I've encountered the problem on two Windows computers,
one running Windows 7 and the other Windows 8, and both when I build the
package under RStudio or directly in a Windows console via "R CMD build".

In particular, the cleanup file for the package, which as I understand it
should have permissions set at rwx-r-r, instead has permissions rw-rw-rw.
I've attached two .png screen shots showing how the permissions are set when
the package is built under R 2.5.2 and R 3.0.0.

I think that my two Windows systems are reasonably vanilla. Here are the
system and session info from R 3.0.0 run from a Windows console:

> Sys.info()
                     sysname                      release
                   "Windows"                      "7 x64"
                     version                     nodename
"build 7601, Service Pack 1"              "JOHN-DELL-XPS"
                     machine                        login
                       "x86"                       "User"
                        user               effective_user
                      "User"                       "User"

> sessionInfo()
R version 3.0.0 (2013-04-03)
Platform: i386-w64-mingw32/i386 (32-bit)

locale:
[1] LC_COLLATE=English_United States.1252
[2] LC_CTYPE=English_United States.1252
[3] LC_MONETARY=English_United States.1252
[4] LC_NUMERIC=C
[5] LC_TIME=English_United States.1252

attached base packages:

I have the latest Rtools30 installed and on my path:

> Sys.which("tar.exe")
                   tar.exe
"c:\\Rtools\\bin\\tar.exe"

Is this a general problem or is it possible that there's something about my
Windows configurations that's causing it?

Any information would be appreciated.

John

John Fox
Senator McMaster Professor of Social Statistics
Department of Sociology
McMaster University
Hamilton, Ontario, Canada