[Rd] Linux distribution with gcc 4.8 and AddressSanitizer ?

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Apr 18 20:54:26 CEST 2013

On 18 April 2013 at 17:19, Prof Brian Ripley wrote:
| On 18/04/2013 16:38, Thomas Petzoldt wrote:
| > Dear R developers,
| >
| > I've got an information from Prof. Ripley regarding a bug found with
| > AddressSanitizer in one of our packages. It is now fixed, thank you for
| > this information.
| >
| > Now, I would like to run AddressSanitizer myself before submitting the
| > patched package to CRAN.
| >
| > Is there a recommendation of a suitable Linux distribution with gcc 4.8,
| > ideally an ISO image or (even better) a virtual appliance for VMware or
| > VirtalBox? My Debian Wheezy machines have only 4.7.2.
| >
| > Thank you
| >
| > Thomas Petzoldt
| >

| gcc 4.8.0 has only been released for 4 weeks, so I doubt any released
| distro has it.  Fedora Rawhide (19-to-be) has it, and so I am told does
| Debian experimental.

Yes, looking at http://packages.debian.org/experimental/gcc-4.8 reveals that
there were build -1 on March 22 and -2 on March 28 --- but also fifteen (15)
prerelease builds going back all the way to Nov 2012.

| I compiled gcc myself from the sources, but my sysadmins offered to make
| a Rawhide virtual machine or live DVD for me.

apt-get could you your friend too.  And virtual machines are pretty easy,
like the virtd / kvm variant (on Linux) quite a bit.

Dirk