[Rd] Accessing the formals() of a non-exported method without :::?

Gavin Simpson ucfagls at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 17:15:09 CEST 2013

Dear List,

I'm in the process of making tweaks to my various R packages following
changes in r-devel for package checks. I'm wondering about the one use
of ::: in one of my packages. I am arranging for a call to a
non-exported S3 method via do.call. For this I need the arguments of
the function and hence I was doing

    Args <- head(formals(analogue:::wa.default), -1)

Following the recent thread on legitimate uses of ::: I think the
above is both acceptable and won't generate a Note now with R CMD
check following a recent change to that code. But is there a better
way to get the formal arguments of a non-exported S3 method?

Thanks.

Gavin Simpson