[Rd] Accessing the formals() of a non-exported method without :::?

R. Michael Weylandt <michael.weylandt@gmail.com> michael.weylandt at gmail.com
Fri Aug 23 17:27:16 CEST 2013

On Aug 23, 2013, at 11:15, Gavin Simpson <ucfagls at gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear List,
>
> I'm in the process of making tweaks to my various R packages following
> changes in r-devel for package checks. I'm wondering about the one use
> of ::: in one of my packages. I am arranging for a call to a
> non-exported S3 method via do.call. For this I need the arguments of
> the function and hence I was doing
>
>    Args <- head(formals(analogue:::wa.default), -1)
>
> Following the recent thread on legitimate uses of ::: I think the
> above is both acceptable and won't generate a Note now with R CMD
> check following a recent change to that code. But is there a better
> way to get the formal arguments of a non-exported S3 method?

Something like (untested)

formalsS3 <- function(...) formals(getS3method(...))

might work. I haven't checked to see how R CMD check feels about getS3method() though.

Michael