[Rd] Parallel computing: how to transmit multiple parameters to a function in parLapply?

alexios ghalanos alexios at 4dscape.com
Tue Dec 24 13:20:45 CET 2013

This works:

clusterExport(cl, c("f","y"), envir=environment())
r <- parLapply(cl, x, function(x) f(x,y))

You need to export your function (“f”) and additional variables (“y”), and then
define that function inside parLapply ("f(x,y)”). If you were to also make use of
additional libraries (or source some scripts) then you should also consult
“clusterEvalQ”.
The makeCluster command (at least in windows via socket) just initializes new R
processes which do not know about your functions or variables unless you
export those to them.

Perhaps a question best suited for R-help.

Alexios