[Rd] Parallel computing: how to transmit multiple parameters to a function in parLapply?

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Tue Dec 24 16:57:06 CET 2013

You can put the function of interest and any global
variables it needs into a private environment, which gets sent
along with the function to the child processes.  E.g.

library(parallel)
cl3 <- makeCluster(3)
y <- c(1,100,10000)
addY <- function(x) x + y
withGlobals <- function(FUN, ...){
    environment(FUN) <- list2env(list(...))
    FUN
}
parLapply(cl3, 1:4, withGlobals(addY, y=y))
# [[1]]
# [1]     2   101 10001
#
# [[2]]