[Rd] enabling reproducible research & R package management & install.package.version & BiocLite

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Tue Mar 5 00:04:25 CET 2013

Just my 2 cents: it may not be a good idea to restrict software
versions to gain reproducibility. To me, this kind of reproducibility
is "dead" reproducibility (what if the old software has a fatal bug?
do we want to reproduce the same **wrong** results?). Software
packages are continuously evolving, and our research should be adapted
as well. How to achieve this? I think this paper by Robert Gentleman
and Duncan Temple Lang has given a nice answer:
http://biostats.bepress.com/bioconductor/paper2/

With R 3.0.0 coming, it will be easy to achieve what they have
outlined because R 3.0 allows custom vignette builders. Basically,
your research paper can be built with 'R CMD build' and checked with
'R CMD check' if you provide an appropriate builder. An R package has
the great potential of becoming the ideal tool for reproducible
research due to its wonderful infrastructure: functions, datasets,
examples, unit tests, vignettes, dependency structure, and so on. With
the help of version control, you can easily spot the changes after you
upgrade the packages. With an R package, you can automate a lot of
things, e.g. install.packages() will take care of dependencies and R
CMD build can rebuild your paper.

Just like Bioc has a devel version, you can continuously check your
results in a devel version, so that you know what is going to break if
you upgrade to new versions of other packages. Is developing a
research paper too different with developing a software package? (in
the context of computing) Probably not.

Long live the reproducible research!

Regards,
Yihui