[Rd] Is using devtools::release no longer allowed?

Richard Cotton richierocks at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 15:28:03 CEST 2014

I recently tried to submit a package to CRAN using the release
function in the devtools package and got the response:

> The policies asked you to use the webform: do so in future.

I think that the relevant line in the policies are:

> When submitting a package to CRAN you should use the submission form at
> http://CRAN.R-project.org/submit.html (and not send an email). You will be sent
> a confirmation email which needs to be accepted.

> If this fails, upload by anonymous ftp to ftp://CRAN.R-project.org/incoming/ and
> send a (plain text ASCII) email at the same time, with subject line as specified below.

As far as I know, the release function uses the second method, so I
don't quite understand what the problem is.

Has that method of submission been banned?

--
Regards,
Richie

Learning R