[Rd] R CMD check for the R code from vignettes

Paul Gilbert pgilbert902 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 2 17:19:39 CEST 2014

On 06/02/2014 12:16 AM, Gabriel Becker wrote:
> Carl,
>
> I don't really have a horse in this race other than a strong feeling that
> whatever check does should be mandatory.
>
> That having been said, I think it can be argued that the fact that check
> does this means that it IS in the R package vignette specification that all
> vignettes must be such that their tangled code will run without errors.

My understanding of this is that the package maintainer can turn off
building the vignette (--no-vignettes) but R CMD check and CRAN still
check that the tangle code runs, and the check fails if it does not.
Running the tangle code can be turned off, just not by the package
maintainer. You have to make a special appeal to the CRAN maintainers,
and give reasons they are prepared to accept. I think the intention is
that the tangle code should run without errors. I doubt they would
accept "it doesn't work" as an acceptable reason. But there are reasons,
like the vignette requires access to a commercial database engine. Also,
I think, turning this off means they just do not run it regularly, in
the daily checks. I don't think it necessarily means the code is never
tested. The testing may need to be done on machines with special resources.

Thus, --no-vignettes provides a mechanism to avoid running the tangle
code twice but, without special exemption, it is still run once. Some
package maintainers may not think of several feature of 'R CMD check' as
'aids'. I think of it having more to do with maintaining some quality
assurance, which I think of as an aid but not a debugging aid.

I believe the CRAN maintainers have intentionally, and successfully,
made disabling the running of tangled code  more trouble than it is
generally worth. Effectively, a package should have tangle code that
runs without errors.

(Of course, I could be wrong about all this, it has happened before.)

Paul