[Rd] R CMD check for the R code from vignettes

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Mon Jun 2 17:58:54 CEST 2014

Yes, I completely agree the tangle code should run without errors, if
the package author has provided such a script. However, I think it is
also the package author's right to choose not to provide such a
script, for reasons that I stated in the beginning (1. redundancy; 2.
tangle functions ignore inline expressions that should not be
ignored).

It seems that I still need to clarify it: I'm not talking about
disabling _running_ the tangled code, but disabling _generating_ the
code _optionally_. Unless someone is arguing that the tangled code
_must_ be generated from vignettes, I do not think anybody in this
discussion really has a conflict with anybody else.

Please also note that I do not expect R core or CRAN maintainers to do
any extra work: package authors can easily disable tangle by
themselves without anything special flags to R CMD build or R CMD
check. The vignettes are still built normally (in terms of "weave"). I
brought forward the discussion to hear the possible harm that I was
potentially not aware of when we disable tangle for R package
vignettes (e.g. does it affect the quality of the package?). So far I
have not heard real harm (I admit my judgment is subjective).

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyihui at gmail.com>