[Rd] Request to Replace Recordplot ,, replayplot

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Thu May 1 23:03:06 CEST 2014

Hi,

no need to repost and start yet another thread on the same topic as
you posted yesterday (R-devel thread ''ReplayPlot, limited to single
session for RecordPlot()", 2014-04-30).  It just makes it hard to keep
a constructive conversation in one place and it clutters up the
archives.

Replaying plots within the current session is still useful. I'm sure
others would love to be able to replay saved R plots across sessions.
However, there was (most likely) a very good reason for not using it
across session, which is why R added the assertion that it's not done
- it's to avoid harm/misuse.

If you search the R-devel archives [http://www.rseek.org/], you'll
find some discussion on this topic, e.g. R-devel threads
"inconsistency/bug in recordPlot/replayPlot", 2014-09-23
[https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2013-September/067471.html].
You'll find that Paul Murrell and others have though about this a lot.

Hopefully, this gives you enough to research to appreciate the problem.

/Henrik