[Rd] ambiguity in the documented return value of Null() from package MASS

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Mon Nov 10 15:12:43 CET 2014

    > There is a maintainer for this contributed package...
    > However, a zero column vector _is_ numeric(0) -- with
    > dimension attributes c(3,0).

    > structure(numeric(0),dim=c(3,0))
    > c(Null(diag(3)))

    > I.e., the ambiguity is pretty slight.

    > Presumably, the help file wording goes back to S-PLUS
    > which (to my recollection) didn't allow zero-extent
    > matrices. The actual behaviour is a clear improvement.

    > - Peter D.

confirmed:

- S-PLUS aka S+ aka ...  did not have 0-extent matrices nor arrays
- R having them makes for much more consistent code in several places.
- one could argue that  matrix( , 3, 0) *is* a special case of
 an empty vector

Further confirmation [not for Peter, for other readers] :

> str(Null(diag(3)))
 num[1:3, 0 ]
> identical(Null(diag(3)), matrix(pi, 3,0))
[1] TRUE