[Rd] ambiguity in the documented return value of Null() from package MASS

William Dunlap wdunlap at tibco.com
Mon Nov 10 17:40:39 CET 2014

> Presumably, the help file wording goes back to S-PLUS which
> (to my recollection) didn't allow zero-extent matrices.

Splus (and S) started having reasonable support for zero-extent
matrices in May 2001 (i.e., Splus 6.0, which I think corresponds
to S version 4-m of June 2, 1999),  Splus5.0 (Nov 20, 1998, corresponding
to S version 4-? of Oct 26, 1998) have very partial support for them.

  % Splus6.0
  S-PLUS : Copyright (c) 1988, 2001 Insightful Corp.
  S : Copyright Lucent Technologies, Inc.
  Version 6.0.1 Release 1 for Linux 2.2.12 : 2001
  Working data will be in .Data
  > library(MASS)
  > Null(diag(3))
  numeric matrix: 3 rows, 0 columns.