[Rd] gsl package on mavericks

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 01:39:20 CEST 2014

I have only skimmed this issue.  But you check gsl version by compiling a
program with
#include <gsl/gsl.h>
This assumes, as far as I can see, that gsl/gsl.h is in the search path (I
know, it is the wrong technical term) of the compiler, which may not be the
case for a non-standard installation.  Above this code you end up with a
variable called GSL_CFLAGS.  Somehow, I would expect that the test program
has to be compiled using the settings revealed by GSL_CFLAGS, but I don't
see that happening (I am not an expert on autoconf, so it may happen behind
the scenes).  I think you need to somehow pass GSL_CFLAGS to AC_LANG_SOURCE.

This seems consistent with the reports on SO, where some people are using
brew which installs it in a location not part of the standard search path,
I think.

Best,
Kasper