[Rd] mpi.h errors on Mavericks packages

Martin Morgan mtmorgan at fhcrc.org
Sat Oct 4 01:58:23 CEST 2014

On 10/03/2014 04:17 PM, Daniel Fuka wrote:
> Dear mac folks,
>
> I have started porting a large legacy toolset maintained in windows
> and heavily mpi laden so it can be used across platforms in R... so I
> am building a package out of it. On this note, I am noticing that
> almost all of the mpi dependent packages do not compile on the CRAN
> repositories.... with the basic issue that it appears it can not find
> mpi installed:
>
> configure: error: "Cannot find mpi.h header file"

Hi Dan -- not a mac folk, or particularly expert on the subject, but have you
looked at section 1.2.1.1 of RShowDoc("R-exts")? The basic idea is

a) check for compiler support via a src/Makevars file that might be like

PKG_CFLAGS = $(SHLIB_OPENMP_CFLAGS)
PKG_LIBS = $(SHLIB_OPENMP_CFLAGS)

b) conditionally include mpi header files and execute mpi code with

#ifdef SUPPORT_OPENMP
#include <mpi.h>
#endif

and similarly for #pragma's and other mpi-isms littered through your code?
Likely this gets quite tedious for projects making extensive use of openMP.

Martin