[Rd] [R logs] Help in develop a simply logs package

Gergely Daróczi daroczig at rapporter.net
Tue Oct 7 14:38:50 CEST 2014

On Tue, Oct 7, 2014 at 2:21 PM, Duncan Murdoch <murdoch.duncan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 07/10/2014, 7:04 AM, DataK - B. THIEURMEL wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > With the use of R in production, it is necessary to have a system of
> > logs effective, and light.
> >
> > Package exist as to futile.logger, but it require the additional coding
> > of logs. So it is thus impossible / very difficult to use it with all
> > package them used in the calculation
> >
> > Our idea is to develop one packages global, simple, who would allow to
> > identify all the errors, warning, message generated by the functions
> > stop(), warning() and message() stop as well as by signals and
> > internally code, with log levels configurable later by package,
> > functions...
> >
> > One way is to overwrite temporarily the functions stop(), warning() and
> > message() of base package, but I think is not a good thing, and
> > furthermore, we lose all signals and internally "message"...
> >
> > A good use of options(error) seems to do the perfect job, but only for
> > error...
> >
> > Our problem / question :
> > - At present, how it is possible to have the same features for messages
> > and warnings? (like options(errors)) (I don't find...)
> > - Would new options be possible in a near future R ?
> > - Have there better / other possibilities to handle all the warnings,
> > message of the way which we wish?
> >

> ​​
> withCallingHandlers() lets you evaluate expressions with code to catch
> messages, warnings and errors.

That's exactly what I'm using in "pander::evals" to capture all
error/warning/normal messages while evaluating an R command, and to also
capture the results (as R objects), stdout and the printed version of the
object -- which might be useful in a custom environment. E.g. I use this
function to evaluate all R chunks in markdown document and also to store
all R messages run at the rapporter.net API. Please let me know if anyone
is interested, and I will start cleaning up the related codebase and
publish on GH -- although "pander" and "evals" is already there:
https://github.com/Rapporter/pander

Quick demo: http://pastebin.com/jCUkgKim