[Rd] [R logs] Help in develop a simply logs package

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 7 14:21:36 CEST 2014

On 07/10/2014, 7:04 AM, DataK - B. THIEURMEL wrote:
> Hi,
>
> With the use of R in production, it is necessary to have a system of
> logs effective, and light.
>
> Package exist as to futile.logger, but it require the additional coding
> of logs. So it is thus impossible / very difficult to use it with all
> package them used in the calculation
>
> Our idea is to develop one packages global, simple, who would allow to
> identify all the errors, warning, message generated by the functions
> stop(), warning() and message() stop as well as by signals and
> internally code, with log levels configurable later by package,
> functions...
>
> One way is to overwrite temporarily the functions stop(), warning() and
> message() of base package, but I think is not a good thing, and
> furthermore, we lose all signals and internally "message"...
>
> A good use of options(error) seems to do the perfect job, but only for
> error...
>
> Our problem / question :
> - At present, how it is possible to have the same features for messages
> and warnings? (like options(errors)) (I don't find...)
> - Would new options be possible in a near future R ?
> - Have there better / other possibilities to handle all the warnings,
> message of the way which we wish?

withCallingHandlers() lets you evaluate expressions with code to catch
messages, warnings and errors.

I don't know if there's a way to evaluate every expression entered at
the console within withCallingHandlers() for an effect like
options(error=), but you can certainly write code to read a file and
evaluate every expression in it within a withCallingHandlers() call.

Duncan Murdoch