[Rd] OSX Yosemite (10.10): Are package binaries the same as for OSX Mavericks (10.9)?

Henrik Bengtsson hb at biostat.ucsf.edu
Mon Oct 27 20:21:49 CET 2014

On Mon, Oct 27, 2014 at 11:23 AM, Dan Tenenbaum <dtenenba at fredhutch.org> wrote:

> [...]

Thanks for this Dan.

As far as I understand, for an OSX user to install binary packages
option 'pkgType' has to be set to either "mac.binary" or
"mac.binary.mavericks".  A few questions for clarification:

Q. Is it the default that 'pkgType' be set to "mac.binary" on OSX (<
10.9) and to "mac.binary.mavericks" on OSX (>= 10.9)?

Q. Are you saying that if an OSX (>= 10.9) user uses
options(pkgType="mac.binary"), then install.packages() will install
the OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) binaries *and* that these binaries are
backward compatible and should work equally well?

Q. In other words, if a user have problems with a particular OSX 10.9
(Mavericks) binary, would a first step of troubleshooting be to ask
that user to try the OSX 10.6 (Snow Leopard) build?

Q. If a user has options(pkgType="mac.binary.mavericks"), but the
repository does not provide such binaries, will install.packages()
fall back to "mac.binary", or will it go directly to "source"?

/Henrik

PS. <rant>From a non-active OSX user, using names instead of numbers
to refer to versions is cute but insane. You need a very good memory
to keep track of the ordering of Snow Leopard, Leopard, Mavericks etc.
and it's not getting easier.</rant>  It would be great if R/BioC and
everyone else would always present the version number when talking
about OSX version and only use the name for redundancy.