[Rd] OSX Yosemite (10.10): Are package binaries the same as for OSX Mavericks (10.9)?

Dan Tenenbaum dtenenba at fredhutch.org
Mon Oct 27 20:33:50 CET 2014

----- Original Message -----

First of all, this should be on R-SIG-Mac.

It all depends on what build of R you are using. You can be on Snow Leopard or later (including Mavericks and Yosemite)  and use the Snow Leopard build. The default package type will be mac.binary.

You can be on Mavericks or later and using the Mavericks build of R and your package type will by default be mac.binary.mavericks.

The two types of binary packages are NOT binary compatible! You should not mix and match them. (Technically, if a given package does not have native code in it, it should work, but you don't really want to go there.)

If you're using the Mavericks build of R and the repository does not provide mac.binary.mavericks packages, don't (see above) install mac.binary packages, install from source.

Dan