[Rd] Title case in DESCRIPTION for package where a word is a function namei

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sat Apr 25 13:57:43 CEST 2015

> On 25 Apr 2015, at 13:11 , Prof J C Nash (U30A) <nashjc at uottawa.ca> wrote:
>
> Hendrik pointed out it was the parentheses that gave the complaint.
> Single quotes and no parentheses seem to satisfy R CMD check. Perhaps
> that needs to be in the WRE.

Well, it is in ?toTitleCase:

     ...However, unknown
     technical terms will be capitalized unless they are single words
     enclosed in single quotes: names of packages and libraries should
     be quoted in titles.

..and it is the "single word" bit that gets you. AFAICT, the issue is that it splits the text into words and then looks for words that begin and end with a single quote. And parentheses count as word separators, so the quotes of 'optim()' end up in two different words.

It's one of those things that aren't easy to fix: Presumably you do want capitalization within parentheses so we can't just not let them be separators, and we can't just look for sets of single quotes with arbitrary content because they get used inside ordinary text (e.g. the beginning of this paragraph contains 's one of those things that aren'). So either we need more heuristics, like only counting () as separators when preceded by or preceding a space, or some sort of explicit escape mechanism, like BibTeX's {foo}.