[Rd] Help finding source of warnings

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Sun Jan 18 15:28:01 CET 2015

On 18 January 2015 at 09:03, Prof J C Nash (U30A) wrote:
| I've been implementing a wrapper to the 2011 Fortran version of
| L-BFGS-B. In optim(), R uses a C translation of a Fortran version (the
| version number does not appear to be documented by the original
| authors). The authors of the original Fortran code have updated it and
| published the reasons in ACM TOMS due to inefficiencies and a bug.
|
| In running the checks on the resulting package (which is on R-forge
| under the optimizer project), I'm getting a number of warning messages
| of the type

If you were so kind to share the __name of the subpackage__ you fail to test,
one could attempt to help you.

| Warning in file.copy(file.path(.Library, pkg, "DESCRIPTION"), pd) :
|    problem copying /usr/lib/R/library/mgcv/DESCRIPTION to
| /tmp/Rtmp0kkeHo/RLIBS_1214765d1c5f/mgcv/DESCRIPTION: No such file or
| directory
|
| which reference DESCRIPTIONs for a number of packages other than the one
| being checked -- here mgcv -- and which are not referenced in my package
| as far as I can determine.

I've seen that when R tries to be too clever by half -- somehow .libPaths()
ends up being partial.  Following the high-level decision by Hornik, Leisch
and Eddelbuettel made circa 2003 in a pub in Vienna, the Debian packages use
three entries, and if you have recommended packages installed via apt, R may
now pretend they don't exist.

I could work on an alternate setup via Github and Travis but as you managed
to make this non-reproducible I cannot actually try that ...

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org