[Rd] ' --enable-R-shlib' problem when setting up R-devel in Linux Mint 17.1 64-bit

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Tue Jul 21 13:13:40 CEST 2015

On 21 July 2015 at 02:15, MAURICIO ZAMBRANO BIGIARINI wrote:
| Regarding the previous problem with setting up r-devel in Linux Mint
| 17.1 64-bit, I deleted all the r-devel files I previously had, and
| then I did the check out to the
|
| '~/svn/r-devel'
|
| directory originally mentioned by by Dirk  on
| https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-debian/2012-August/001935.html,
| instead of the customised location I previously chose:
|
| '~/SVN/R-devel/trunk'
|
| and now I everything worked perfectly fine.
|
| However, I'm still wondering what should I change in the first script
| proposed by Dirk on
| https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-sig-debian/2012-August/001935.html if
| i want to use a user-defined location for the development files (e.g.,
| '~/SVN/R-devel/trunk'). I meant, in addition to the line:
|
| cd ~/svn/r-devel

That is most likely spurious.  Your errors may be due to, say, you not having
run 'make clean' or 'make distclean' in the previous repo checkout you had so
that the effect of the _initial_ configure call still lingered.

There is no magic here. Lots of people have built R this way, and even more
people use configure regularly.  These things work.

You somehow boxed yourself into a corner, out of which you now seem to have
escaped, which is good.  The proper sequence (svn checkout ...; configure
...; make ...) will work no matter what name you give the directory you work
in.

Regards, Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org