[Rd] ' --enable-R-shlib' problem when setting up R-devel in Linux Mint 17.1 64-bit

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 14:16:52 CEST 2015

> On 21 Jul 2015, at 13:13 , Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> wrote:
>

> You somehow boxed yourself into a corner, out of which you now seem to have
> escaped, which is good.  The proper sequence (svn checkout ...; configure
> ...; make ...) will work no matter what name you give the directory you work
> in.

You may want to avoid building in the source directory, though. We don't generally do that when testing, so you may bump into something unexpected.

I.e., rather do

export REPOS=https://svn.r-project.org/R
export RTOP=~ #adjust as necessary
cd $RTOP
svn co $REPOS/trunk r-devel/R
mkdir r-devel/BUILD
#---
cd r-devel/R
svn up
cd ../BUILD
../R/configure
make

For configure optione, I generally maintain a config.site in the r-devel directory and copy it to BUILD before running configure.

Presumably, regular R already exists as a package on Linux Mint. You might want to investigate how R is built from sources, see for instance: http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1822

--
Peter Dalgaard, Professor,
Phone: (+45)38153501