[Rd] RFC: Declaring "foo.bar" as nonS3method() ?!

Hadley Wickham h.wickham at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 16:53:20 CEST 2015

To me, it seems like there's actually two problems here:

1) Preventing all() from dispatching to all.effects() for objects of
class effects
2) Eliminating the NOTE in R CMD check

My impression is that 1) actually causes few problems, particularly
since people are mostly now aware of the problem and avoid using `.`
in function names unless they're S3 methods. Fixing this issue seems
like it would be a lot of work for relatively little gain.

However, I think we want to prevent people from writing new functions
with this confusing naming scheme, but equally we want to grandfather
in existing functions, because renaming them all would be a lot of
work (I'm looking at you t.test()!).

Could we have a system similar to globalVariables() where you could
flag a function as definitely not being an S3 method? I'm not sure
what R CMD check should do - ideally you wouldn't be allow to use
method.class for new functions, but still be able suppress the note
for old functions that can't easily be changed.

Hadley

http://had.co.nz/