[Rd] RFC: Declaring "foo.bar" as nonS3method() ?!

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri Jun 12 17:09:32 CEST 2015

    > To me, it seems like there's actually two problems here:
    > 1) Preventing all() from dispatching to all.effects() for objects of
    > class effects
    > 2) Eliminating the NOTE in R CMD check

Sure.  ... and that what I said in my OP

    > My impression is that 1) actually causes few problems, particularly
    > since people are mostly now aware of the problem and avoid using `.`
    > in function names unless they're S3 methods. Fixing this issue seems
    > like it would be a lot of work for relatively little gain.

Well, we may disagree here.  I did mean to improve the system
"deep down", and Kurt and Duncan where basically also blowing
the same trumpet.

We are not re-inventing all the wheels on all the cars that have
been racing around - sometimes for decennia... and so some names
have been there for a long time and will remain.

    > However, I think we want to prevent people from writing new functions
    > with this confusing naming scheme, but equally we want to grandfather
    > in existing functions, because renaming them all would be a lot of
    > work (I'm looking at you t.test()!).

exactly.

    > Could we have a system similar to globalVariables() where you could
    > flag a function as definitely not being an S3 method?

did you read what I wrote originally?
Exactly that - with a working-proposition
	nonS3method("<name>")

And BTW  ---- I'm diverting and I  seem to "preach" in vain
here, but in my view

    globalVariables("xy")

is really a very very poor "solution" and far from what one would desire:
If you use it in your package, say because one function uses
non-standard evaluation and hence 'xy',
*all* erronous global uses of 'xy in all other functions in your
package will *not* be flagged by the nice codetools package
functionality which is behind that part of R CMD check.

Martin