[Rd] About removing zlib from R-devel

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Thu Mar 26 19:49:20 CET 2015

On 26 March 2015 at 07:47, Gábor Csárdi wrote:
| Dear All,
|
| zlib has been removed from R-devel src/extra recently, and building R
| requires zlib >= 1.2.5. Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (also used on Travis CI) only has
| 1.2.3.
|
| This means that the next version of R will probably not available on Ubuntu
| 12.04. (Unless I am missing something of course.) Which is probably fine,
| it is almost three years old now.

I think Michael Rutter (who (re-)builds for 12.04 and other Ubuntu releases
when I update the Debian package) can create a local backport of zlib.

I somewhat recently started to (entirely locally) build some "backports" via
https://launchpad.net/~edd/+archive/ubuntu/misc solely so that Travis can use
them as binary.  It's good option to have.

Dirk