[Rd] About removing zlib from R-devel

Kasper Daniel Hansen kasperdanielhansen at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 16:19:40 CET 2015

Related to this question:

I have installed bzip2 1.0.6 by hand, but configure still fails.  When I
look at config.log I get the following

configure:34150: /usr/bin/gcc -std=gnu99 -o conftest -g -O2 -march=amdfam10
 -g -O2 -march=amdfam10  -L/usr/local/lib64 confte
st.c -lbz2 -lz -lrt -ldl -lm  >&5
conftest.c: In function 'main':
conftest.c:250: warning: initialization discards qualifiers from pointer
target type
conftest.c:251: warning: implicit declaration of function 'exit'
conftest.c:251: warning: incompatible implicit declaration of built-in
function 'exit'
conftest.c:251: warning: implicit declaration of function 'strcmp'

for the program

| #ifdef HAVE_BZLIB_H
| #include <bzlib.h>
| #endif
| int main() {
|     char *ver = BZ2_bzlibVersion();
|     exit(strcmp(ver, "1.0.6") < 0);
| }

configure:34167: result: no
configure:34173: checking whether bzip2 support suffices
configure:34180: error: bzip2 library and headers are required

To me, it seems as if the test might be broken.  I'll do some more
investigation, but thought I would report this. It works for libz which I
also had to install by hand.

Best,
Kasper