[Rd] NEWS.md support on CRAN

Yihui Xie xie at yihui.name
Sat May 23 17:31:32 CEST 2015

I agree. It is not worth all the trouble just to save the "bit of
hassle to go to the package's Github site". In fact, the release notes
on Github are more meaningful than a plain text NEWS.md or even a
converted NEWS.html from Pandoc, e.g. you can include bug report
numbers and attribute to users by @username (they all have hyperlinks
attached on them, so it is easy to see more details of bugs/features
if one really cares). Personally, I feel it is very worthwhile going
to Github and reading the release notes there. I'd be unhappy with
converting NEWS.md to NEWS.html by Pandoc. I know not all people use
Github, but I feel if a package author has a NEWS.md, chances are this
package is on Github.

Re Kurt's analysis of NEWS.md on CRAN, I guess that is because R CMD
check will warn against NEWS.md at the top level. I know a lot of
packages on Github have the NEWS.md file, and it has been removed from
the tarball to make R CMD check happy.

Regards,
Yihui
--