[Rd] NEWS.md support on CRAN

Gábor Csárdi csardi.gabor at gmail.com
Sat May 23 20:22:31 CEST 2015

On Sat, May 23, 2015 at 11:31 AM, Yihui Xie <xie at yihui.name> wrote:

> I agree. It is not worth all the trouble just to save the "bit of
> hassle to go to the package's Github site". In fact, the release notes
> on Github are more meaningful than a plain text NEWS.md or even a
> converted NEWS.html from Pandoc, e.g. you can include bug report
> numbers and attribute to users by @username (they all have hyperlinks
> attached on them, so it is easy to see more details of bugs/features
> if one really cares).

Indeed. Although the GitHub API I linked can build a HTML that includes
these links, and that's already pretty good.

[...]

> Re Kurt's analysis of NEWS.md on CRAN, I guess that is because R CMD
> check will warn against NEWS.md at the top level. I know a lot of
> packages on Github have the NEWS.md file, and it has been removed from
> the tarball to make R CMD check happy.

I agree. The only package with inst/NEWS.md on CRAN is in fact mine
(crayon), and I put NEWS.md (and README.md) in inst/ so that

1) R CMD check and CRAN are both happy (CRAN was unhappy about non-valid
HTML build by Pandoc from README.md), and

2) they are included in the package.

Gabor

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]