[Rd] MetaCran website v1.0.0-alpha

Gabriel Becker gmbecker at ucdavis.edu
Tue May 26 20:10:43 CEST 2015

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 10:55 AM, Gábor Csárdi <csardi.gabor at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 1:46 PM, Gabriel Becker <gmbecker at ucdavis.edu>
> wrote:
>
>> That's true, but issues, checkouts, comments, credit, etc should all be
>> going to the original repo.
>

> You mean the links? They are, aren't they?

Sort of, the link for browsing source code doesn't have any indication that
you're looking at a frozen snapshot of the source-code for the latest
version on CRAN. Typically links with that description point to trunk, I
think. Maybe a different a description for that link would help make the
source-code it points to sound less official?

> [...]
>
>> >From the email Gabor just sent out, it sounds like he and I agree about
>> this stuff anyway. I was really responding to the proposal that the
>> repositories actually be forked.
>>

> I cannot do much about that. Issues and wiki are turned off, but you
> cannot turn off forking or pull requests. Even the official mirrors at
> GitHub have them, e.g. the Apache Spark mirror at
> https://github.com/apache/spark
>
> And I don't actually want to turn off forks for these repos, because they
> are useful for repos that are originally not on CRAN.

Well, sort of. I mean if the package is being actively developed not on
github, forking your archive repo and developing a patch/etc against it
won't necessarily be particularly effective, as there is no way to have the
right starting point (state of trunk), right?

~G

--
Gabriel Becker, PhD
Computational Biologist