[Rd] Changed behaviour when passing a function?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 22 23:56:57 CEST 2015

On 22/10/2015 5:44 PM, Gabriel Becker wrote:
> Of course (and unsurprisingly) Duncan is correct.  I see that behavior
> in R 3.1.0, as well as the modern ones Duncan mentioned.
>
> What I said is true, as far as it goes, but the symbol being resolved
> is FUN, so when looking for a function it doesn't find the function
> version of round.

It comes down to the order of operations:  we need to bind something to
FUN, and we need to look up a function named FUN.  Since the binding
comes first, it fails.  If it happened in the other order: look for a
function named FUN,
find an unresolved binding to "round", look in the caller frame for a
function named round, we wouldn't get the error.  But that's not how we
do it.

Duncan Murdoch