[Rd] rgl/webGL complains about Javascript, even in recent online docs?

Dominick Samperi djsamperi at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 04:14:05 CEST 2015

Hello,

The recently created online "rgl Overview" at
https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rgl/vignettes/rgl.html
illustrates a problem that I am trying to resolve.

At the bottom of each image block on that page appears the
advisory: You must enable Javascript to view this page properly.

I am using Safari under MacOS with Javascript and WebGL
both enabled, so it must be the detection algorithm that is
mistaken. It is not clear to me how this works after looking
over the generated HTML code (generated by knit2html
in my case).

I found this after I ran into this problem in a different context,
namely, in the process of creating a wordpress page that
contains interactive rgl content. I tried simply placing
the code generated by knit2html into a wordpress page,
but the result is not interactive and that message about
Javascript not being enabled appears.

On the other hand, if I open the generated code in a
browser directly, interaction works and there is no
Javascript message.

In summary, interactive rgl code works stand-alone, but
not in wordpress, and not in the "rgl Overview" page.

Thanks,
Dominick