[Rd] rgl/webGL complains about Javascript, even in recent online docs?

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat Sep 12 13:37:28 CEST 2015

On 11/09/2015 10:14 PM, Dominick Samperi wrote:
> Hello,
>
> The recently created online "rgl Overview" at
> https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/rgl/vignettes/rgl.html
> illustrates a problem that I am trying to resolve.
>
> At the bottom of each image block on that page appears the
> advisory: You must enable Javascript to view this page properly.
>
> I am using Safari under MacOS with Javascript and WebGL
> both enabled, so it must be the detection algorithm that is
> mistaken. It is not clear to me how this works after looking
> over the generated HTML code (generated by knit2html
> in my case).
>
> I found this after I ran into this problem in a different context,
> namely, in the process of creating a wordpress page that
> contains interactive rgl content. I tried simply placing
> the code generated by knit2html into a wordpress page,
> but the result is not interactive and that message about
> Javascript not being enabled appears.
>
> On the other hand, if I open the generated code in a
> browser directly, interaction works and there is no
> Javascript message.
>
> In summary, interactive rgl code works stand-alone, but
> not in wordpress, and not in the "rgl Overview" page.

I see the same in Firefox, it's not just Safari.

If I look at the browser console, I see errors indicating that rglClass
is not defined, and I don't see a block of Javascript code that should
have been inserted.

If I install rgl from the source on CRAN, I see the same problem, so it
looks like an rgl bug.  I'll see if I can fix it.

Duncan Murdoch