[Rd] R-devel_2015-09-14 throws an error in reg-packages test

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Thu Sep 17 10:49:51 CEST 2015

    > On Wed, Sep 16, 2015 at 9:32 PM, Avraham Adler <avraham.adler at gmail.com> wrote:
    >> When running make check, I get the following error:
    >>
    >> running code in 'reg-packages.R' ...make[3]: *** [reg-packages.Rout] Error 1
    >> make[2]: *** [test-Reg] Error 2
    >> make[1]: *** [test-all-basics] Error 1
    >> make: *** [check] Error 2
    >>
    >> Looking at reg-packages.Rout.fail shows

    > The r-devel commit log [1] shows that Martin has been working on this
    > test over the past few days.

Yes... and you can also find which misfeature this was
addressing. While the above problem only ever happened on
Windows {because it often does not work with symbolic links ..}
the check was even generally broken for a couple hours a few
days earlier, because I had failed to commit all my relevant changes....

    > Sometimes work-in-progress causes the
    > daily svn snapshot to be broken; typically it gets fixed the next day
    > or so.

Exactly.  Thank you Jeroen.

Typically you'd report such problems only if they persist for
more than a day, or at least only report to R-core .. and we
will thank you if we did not know about it already (and on a
lucky day even thank you *if* we knew already ;-).

Martin