[Rd] In plot.ts, las=1 applies to ylab with multiple series and not to axis labels

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Mon Feb 1 19:42:30 CET 2016

>> Hello:
>> In plot.ts, las=1 applies to ylab and not axis labels with
>> multiple series.  The documented behavior is to have las=1 apply to axis
>> labels and not ylab.
>
>> To see this, please try the following:
>
>> plot.ts(1:4, las=1)
>
>> plot.ts(matrix(1:8, 4), las=1)
>
>> On my Mac, the second displays behavior I did not expect.  If
>> I've done something stupid here, please advise;  it won't be the first
>> time ;-)
>
> Nothing stupid; indeed your expectations are correct and there's
> a small lapsus in R there, the '...' not being passed to the axis(..)
> calls in the matrix case.

I'm hoping you can at the same time look at the unexpected behavior I noted in a simple `plot` call that I observed over the weekend, also on a Mac, but it's hard to believe this is related to the OS..

plot(1:10,1:10, pch=20, lwd=c(1,1,1,3,1) ,type='b')

What I'm seeing is the size of the points are accepting the 'lwd' argument when my reading of the docs is that it should be the intervening segments that accept it.

And I echo Duncan's thanks.