[Rd] problem submitting R bug; bug plotting in tiling window manager

Duncan Murdoch murdoch.duncan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 6 02:19:40 CET 2016

On 05/02/2016 7:26 PM, frederik at ofb.net wrote:
> Dear Dirk Eddelbuettel and Duncan Murdoch,
>
> Thank you for your work on the wonderful R project!
>
> I recently attempted to submit a bug with your Bugzilla interface:
>
> https://bugs.r-project.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi
>
> I created an account, typed in all my information, first checking
> details with another project. Then I clicked submit, and was taken to
> a web page with a big red banner, it said
>
>      Spammer
>      If you believe your account should be restored, please send email to explaining why.
>
> What a hostile thing to say to your users! I tried resubmitting my
> bug, but removing any links, and I still get the message - so it looks
> like my account has really been blocked. Please do something to warn
> your users about this so they can avoid the upset.

Your account isn't blocked now, but it wasn't easy to unblock it: you
used a different email address in the submission, not the same one you
used in this email.  At least one of the people who can deal with this
kind of thing would now demand an apology from you before ever reading
your email again.  I won't do that, but I have to admit, I don't like
the fact that you wasted 10 minutes of my time. I'm Bcc'ing a couple of
people who are working on putting together a better interface to the bug
reporting system, so they know to deal with this kind of issue as well
as all the others.

I'm not hostile, I just sound that way, because I've wasted a lot of
time this week on issues like this.

Duncan Murdoch

(Here's my previous email to you, for the benefit of those who are Bcc'd:
> You posted a bug report, but it had no content other than "til".  That's
> what many abusers of the system have done, so you were blocked.
>
> I have read the first line of your bug report, and it says " I'm not
> sure if this is a bug with i3 or R ".  If you're not sure if it's a bug
> or not, then please post to R-devel.  That's a moderated list so if this
> is your first post, it may take a while to appear.
>
> This probably seems unreasonable to you, but a lot of abuse is sent to
> the bug list, so we block it quite early.  I'll unblock you now, but
> please don't post there again unless your discussion on R-devel
> indicates this is a problem with R rather than i3.
Duncan Murdoch