[Rd] r-devel @ Travis

Måns Magnusson mons.magnusson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 17:38:33 CET 2016

Thank you all for the comments and suggestions!

I got the link from Garbor to work, but that is the old r-travis approach
(using C). I tried the same approach with native R Travis build but
unfortunately it did not work. So I contacted Jim Hester and he told me
that they are now actively working with implementing multiple R versions in
the native R builds.

/Måns

> On 18 January 2016 at 09:45, Måns Magnusson wrote:
> | I'm developing R packages and use Travis CI for continous integration.
> When
> | submitting to CRAN Im suggestet to test the package using the latest
> | R-devel. I would like that all test where run using Travis. Is there
> anyone
> | who knows if this is possible to run travis test using the latest
> r-devel?
>
> Literally "anything is possible" subject to the constraint of Travis
> hosting
> on Ubuntu 12.04 (aka "Precise") with an opt-in to Ubuntu 14.04 (aka
> "Trusty").
>
> So anything you can build there, or build yourself somewhere else in order
> run there -- and I have made the case that the Launchpad build system by
> Canonical/Ubuntu is good -- will work.
>
> 12.04 / 14.04 are sometimes a little restrictive, but one can generally do
> just fine.  Now, I (as the one rolling up the r-release .deb packages for
> R)
> never created one for R-devel -- but Gabor filled that gap for purposes of
> r-builder / r-hub.  That is your (current) best bet.
>
> For what it is worth, I still prefer my R-devel tests to be local -- but
> use
> in Travis is a perfectly fine approach.
>
> Cheers, Dirk
>
> --