[Rd] Ubuntu console weird behaviour

Renaud Gaujoux renaud at techunix.technion.ac.il
Thu Mar 3 09:13:59 CET 2016

Hi,

I have been experiencing a weird behavior when running R in Ubuntu terminal.
I don't know exactly what triggers the issue and could not find a 100%
reproducible way of getting it.
The problem is that sometimes (often after an error is thrown, or after
copy/paste of plain text from an editor), the console acts as if its width
was limited, breaking lines and makes very difficult to navigate into
command history or edit previous commands. Essentially, the console is
messed up and only comes back to normal when restarting R in a fresh
session.

I understand it is a bit of a poor error report, but I was hoping that
people might have encountered the same issue (and would recognize it as
described here).

I looked at bash checkwinsize as suggested here and it is on:
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/61584/how-to-solve-the-issue-that-a-terminal-screen-is-messed-up-usually-after-a-res

Thank you.

Bests,
Renaud

My settings are:

R version 3.2.3 (2015-12-10)
Platform: x86_64-pc-linux-gnu (64-bit)
Running under: Ubuntu 15.10

locale:
 [1] LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8       LC_NUMERIC=C
 [3] LC_TIME=en_ZA.UTF-8        LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8
 [5] LC_MONETARY=en_ZA.UTF-8    LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8
 [7] LC_PAPER=en_ZA.UTF-8       LC_NAME=C
 [9] LC_ADDRESS=C               LC_TELEPHONE=C
[11] LC_MEASUREMENT=en_ZA.UTF-8 LC_IDENTIFICATION=C

attached base packages:

Renaud Gaujoux, PhD
Systems Immunology - Technion, Haifa, Israel

	[[alternative HTML version deleted]]