[Rd] Problem installing R-devel data 4 March 2016.

peter dalgaard pdalgd at gmail.com
Sat Mar 5 15:10:11 CET 2016

> On 05 Mar 2016, at 03:35 , Rolf Turner <r.turner at auckland.ac.nz> wrote:
>

> I am trying to install the latest development version of R so as to be able to perform a package check according the rules specified for CRAN.
>
> I performed the following steps:
>
> (1) Downloaded  R-devel.tar.gz, dated 04-Mar-2016 03:21, from CRAN
> (2) Upacked.
> (3) Created directory "BldDir" next to the directory "R-devel".
> (4) Changed directories to BldDir.
> (5) Executed  ../R-devel/configure --with-tcltk --with-cairo .
> (6) Executed make .
> (7) Executed sudo make install .
>
> I got the error messages:
>  .
>  .
>  .
>> mkdir -p -- /usr/local/lib64/R/doc
>> /usr/bin/install: cannot stat `FAQ': No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/install: cannot stat `RESOURCES': No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/install: cannot stat `NEWS': No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/install: cannot stat `NEWS.pdf': No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/install: cannot stat `NEWS.rds': No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/install: cannot stat `NEWS': No such file or directory
>> /usr/bin/install: cannot stat `NEWS.pdf': No such file or directory
>> make[1]: *** [install-sources2] Error 1
>> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/rolf/Desktop/R-dev-inst/BldDir/doc'
>> make: *** [install] Error 1
>
> Can someone/anyone tell me what I am missing or doing wrong?

Beats me. & I just checked that make install works on my system (usually, I just run test versions out of their build dirs).

You might check a couple of things though:

- does ~/Desktop/R-dev-inst/BldDir/bin/R work?
- does ~/Desktop/R-dev-inst/BldDir/doc/FAQ et al. actually exist?
- is there an overzealous virus checker active (those have been known to move fresh files to "safe locations" right under peoples feet...)

-pd