[Rd] R process killed when allocating too large matrix (Mac OS X)

Simon Urbanek simon.urbanek at r-project.org
Thu May 5 03:21:25 CEST 2016

On May 4, 2016, at 9:00 PM, Marius Hofert <marius.hofert at uwaterloo.ca> wrote:

> Hi Simon,
>
> thanks for your quick reply.
>
> 1) ... so you can reproduce this?

Yes, I can on 10.11.4.

> 2) Do you know a way how this can be 'foreseen'? We allocate larger
> matrices in the copula package depending on the user's input
> dimension. It would be good to tell her/him "Your dimension is quite
> large. Be aware of killers in your neighborhood"... before the killer
> attacks.

Not directly, because the system is happy to accommodate R's request for more memory but then it will strike out of the blue. Since that decision is made by the kernel and it doesn't expose its thinking about how it feels, it's hard to tell. I couldn't find any API on OS X akin to didReceiveMemoryWarning in iOS, unfortunately.

You could guess - e.g. by checking the total system memory

int mib [] = { CTL_HW, HW_MEMSIZE };
int64_t value = 0;
size_t length = sizeof(value);
sysctl(mib, 2, &value, &length, NULL, 0);

and comparing it to the sizes involved. However, even that is not foolproof, because it all depends on the other processes' memory usage, swap space size etc. There are slightly more involved ways to query the VM system as well, but I'm not sure I'd want to go so deep into the weeds, especially since this becomes quickly highly OS-specific.

Cheers,
Simon