[Rd] where to send patches to R source code

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Fri May 13 10:49:26 CEST 2016

    > Hi Peter, Martin, and others,
    > Thanks for your replies.

    > - The bugs apply to all systems that use GNU Readline, not just Linux
    > or Arch Linux.

yes... but

    > - Readline version 6.3 changed the signal handling so that SIGWINCH is
    > no longer handled automatically by the library. This means it's not
    > currently possible for people using R on e.g. Linux to resize the
    > terminal, or at least when they do so they have to make sure that
    > all their commands fit in one line and don't wrap.

    > - There is also a long-standing bug in Readline where the callback
    > interface didn't properly clear the line on SIGINT (^C). This means
    > that "exiting" reverse-incremental-search with ^C would give an
    > apparently empty prompt which still had some pending input, so if
    > you hit ^C-Return then an unintended command would get executed.

    > If they're not "bothering all that many people", then perhaps it's
    > because everyone uses Windows or Mac OS X or RStudio

or  ESS [ := Emacs Speaks Statistics]  https://ess.r-project.org/ ),
really the first cross platform UI, and the most used one by R
"gurus" for a long time...

or StatET (an Eclipse based GUI, also cross platform)

or ... {quite a few more}.

I'm pretty sure (but may be wrong) that 99% of useRs do not work
much with R in a readline-enabled console, but rather via
another interface.
Maybe only 95% if you restrict yourself to non-Mac, non-Windows
(i.e. typically Linux) users.

    > For me these are pretty significant bugs.

I agree they should be fixed.. only just because regular bash
users may like the readline-enabled R in a terminal, and because
readline is nice in itself, and it'd be a pity if our using it
started to lag. ... or has started to lag, as you found..

    > The second one causes unintended code to be
    > executed. Random code could delete files, for example, or worse. The
    > first one bites me every time I want to change the size of a window,
    > which is pretty often.

    > I tried to get Readline maintainer Chet Ramey to fix these on the
    > Readline side, but he disagreed with my proposal:

    > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-readline/2016-04/threads.html

    > I'm glad that my message here at least was seen and I hope that
    > someone who uses the R command line on Linux will have time to verify
    > that the patches work correctly. They are basically Chet-approved
    > workarounds for bugs/changes in Readline, not very complicated.

    > Do either of you know a Linux R person you could ping to get these
    > patches checked out? I'm not overly frustrated, and I'm not in a major
    > hurry, but from what we've observed it seems like waiting for someone
    > concerned to come along and finally read Bugzilla or the R-Devel
    > archives is not going to result in a very dense Poisson process...

Well, many of us from R core use Linux regularly or at least occasionally and
hence can take time to confirm the bug ... and if the patch
seems to fix it.

However, most of experienced R users, not just R core,
"believes" in reproducibility and hence we want to work with *.R
scripts (or *.Rmd etc nowadays):

We had a saying in the ESS manuals for 20 years or so:

   "The source code is real."

which had later been extended to

    "The source code is real.
     The objects are realizations of the source code."

As a consequence, we do not "work" in the R console; we may tinker
a bit for experiments, but we really work "in" the R source files.

For that reason, if apply your patches and quickly check that
the previous bug seems gone, I would not notice if the patch had
introduced new bugs ... just because I almost never work in
"readline-R"  but always (99.9%) work in Linux.

Martin