[Rd] please apply my patches

frederik at ofb.net frederik at ofb.net
Tue May 17 03:40:50 CEST 2016

Dear R Devel,

Sorry for sending so many emails, but I haven't heard that anyone is
working on the patches I created.

A few weeks ago I wanted to do something to contribute to R because I
use it a lot. I picked the most annoying bugs I could find, and
created two of the simplest patches I could create, but all I've had
in response from the R core team (aside from briefly banning my
Bugzilla account) is a lengthy explanation for why power users don't
use the basic command line interface. I'm grateful to Peter for the
list of tools like ESS that people use to interface with R; but if I
wanted to submit a bug to ESS then I would have sent it to a different
mailing list.

Thank you Göran for confirming that you experience these bugs. I've
Cc'ed two other users, Chris Smowton and "Terran", who commented on
the Bugzilla bugs. Do you guys want to weigh in on the relative
importance of getting these fixed?

Nobody asked me to describe the patches in more detail, but I'll give
a brief summary in case it helps: One of my patches adds a signal
handler for SIGWINCH (which GNU Readline stopped handling a few years
ago without telling anyone). There is no other use of SIGWINCH in the
R code so I don't think this will cause problems. This makes
terminal-resizing possible. The other one adds some additional cleanup
to popReadline. Now, popReadline is called every time a command is
entered at the prompt, or when R catches SIGINT, to reset the terminal
settings and take control back from Readline. My second patch fixes
incremental-search by amending popReadline to clear the line state as
well. I invite creative suggestions as to how these might lead to
unforeseen trouble for Unix or non-Unix users - what I might have
missed in my testing, etc.

Otherwise, I would appreciate some kind of real input as to what I
should do or who I should contact to get this rolling. We're all short
on time; if we can get this taken care of quickly and efficiently then
we'll have more time left for other stuff.

Thank you,

Frederick