[Rd] shared libraries: missing soname

Martin Maechler maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch
Wed Nov 23 10:16:50 CET 2016

    > Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> writes:
    >> On 22 November 2016 at 00:02, Joseph Mingrone wrote:
    >> | These are also not fatal errors on FreeBSD, where everything, for now, also just
    >> | works.  ...until a library's interface changes.  You seem to be arguing that
    >> | sonmaes are pointless.  We disagree.

    >> You are putting words in my mouth. In my very first reply to you, I pointed
    >> out that (for non-BSD systems at least) the sonames do not matter as R loads
    >> the libraries itself, rather than via ldd.  No more, no less.

    > Let me restate.  You seem to be arguing that, because R itself doesn't consume
    > it's shared libraries via ldd(), sonames serve no purpose, in this case.  Please
    > correct me if I'm putting words in your mouth.

    >> | I can't say for certain (I'm not an rkward user), but looking at the build

    >> Why did _you_ then bring up rkward as an example? That was your suggestion.

    > Because you asked, "Yes, well, but are there other customers?"  Also, I'm trying
    > to put myself in the perspective of package users.

    > Is this a more appropriate example?

    > # ldd /usr/local/lib/R/library/tseries/libs/tseries.so | grep libR
    > libRblas.so => /usr/local/lib/R/lib/libRblas.so (0x80120c000)
    > libR.so => /usr/local/lib/R/lib/libR.so (0x801c00000)

Well, Dirk has said to have given his last reply on this thread.
I (as a member of R-core) am glad about people like Dirk who
take some of our load and helpfully answer such
questions/reports on R-devel.

To the issue:  I also don't see what your point is.
R works with these so libraries  as intended  in all cases as
far as we know, and so I don't understand why anything needs to
be changed.
All these libraries "belong to R" and are tied to a specific
version of R  and are not be used outside of R,  so I also don't see
your point.

Best regards,

Martin Maechler
ETH Zurich