[Rd] shared libraries: missing soname

Joseph Mingrone jrm at ftfl.ca
Wed Nov 23 03:21:49 CET 2016

Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> writes:

> On 22 November 2016 at 00:02, Joseph Mingrone wrote:
> | These are also not fatal errors on FreeBSD, where everything, for now, also just
> | works.  ...until a library's interface changes.  You seem to be arguing that
> | sonmaes are pointless.  We disagree.

> You are putting words in my mouth. In my very first reply to you, I pointed
> out that (for non-BSD systems at least) the sonames do not matter as R loads
> the libraries itself, rather than via ldd.  No more, no less.

Let me restate.  You seem to be arguing that, because R itself doesn't consume
it's shared libraries via ldd(), sonames serve no purpose, in this case.  Please
correct me if I'm putting words in your mouth.

> | I can't say for certain (I'm not an rkward user), but looking at the build

> Why did _you_ then bring up rkward as an example? That was your suggestion.

Because you asked, "Yes, well, but are there other customers?"  Also, I'm trying
to put myself in the perspective of package users.

Is this a more appropriate example?

# ldd /usr/local/lib/R/library/tseries/libs/tseries.so | grep libR
libRblas.so => /usr/local/lib/R/lib/libRblas.so (0x80120c000)
libR.so => /usr/local/lib/R/lib/libR.so (0x801c00000)