[Rd] shared libraries: missing soname

Joseph Mingrone jrm at ftfl.ca
Fri Nov 25 03:09:36 CET 2016

Martin Maechler <maechler at stat.math.ethz.ch> writes:
> Well, Dirk has said to have given his last reply on this thread.
> I (as a member of R-core) am glad about people like Dirk who
> take some of our load and helpfully answer such
> questions/reports on R-devel.

I am glad too.  Thank you.  My ultimate goal is to ensure that R works as well
on FreeBSD as it does elsewhere.  It mostly just works (again, appreciative),
but there are a few challenges because some R conventions and some FreeBSD
conventions may collide.

Dirk Eddelbuettel <edd at debian.org> writes:
> Consider eg this:

>   edd at max:~$ locate Matrix.so
>   /usr/lib/R/library/Matrix/libs/Matrix.so
>   /usr/local/lib/R/site-library/Matrix/libs/Matrix.so
>   /usr/local/lib/R-devel/lib/R/library/Matrix/libs/Matrix.so
>   edd at max:~$

> I have three versions of Matrix.so. And still not problem.  The third one
> only enters for R-devel, not R.  The first two are distinguished by R itself
> _by virtue of different paths_ just like Martin and I told you.

> And _no_ other program on my system knows about Matrix.so:

>   edd at max:~$ ldconfig -p | grep Matrix.so
>   edd at max:~$ ldconfig -p | wc -l
>   2814
>   edd at max:~$

> ldd / ldconfig do NOT know Matrix.so -- as I told you before -- despite the
> fact that they know thousands of other things on this (development) machine.

For a frequently-updated Debian package repository, I assume you _manually_ bump
all the Debian R packages whenever the main R package is upgraded.  Is that
correct?  That is, when a Debian user upgrades the r-base package from, say,
version 3.2.5 to 3.3.1, then r-cran-tseries must/should be rebuilt/reinstalled
against the new R package?  If so, maybe there is something useful we could
submit.  I will have to study how R uses autotools, because that also seems a
bit different than I am used to.

I also notice that on Debian you make a soft link of /usr/lib/R/lib/libR.so to
/usr/lib/libR.so.  Given all that has been discussed, I am unclear why.

Thank you for sticking with the thread,

Joseph