[Rd] shared libraries: missing soname

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Nov 25 03:43:35 CET 2016

On 24 November 2016 at 22:09, Joseph Mingrone wrote:
| For a frequently-updated Debian package repository, I assume you _manually_ bump
| all the Debian R packages whenever the main R package is upgraded.  Is that
| correct?  That is, when a Debian user upgrades the r-base package from, say,
| version 3.2.5 to 3.3.1, then r-cran-tseries must/should be rebuilt/reinstalled
| against the new R package?  If so, maybe there is something useful we could

You assume that change == breakage.  Yet that assumption is baseless.

Which is what someone like Martin (R Core, and "at it" since the 80s pre-R
and 90s with the almost very beginning of R) and myself (around R since the
late 90s, somewhat involved since the early 00s) keep telling you.

At some point it might appear to be approproiiate for you to actually take
our word for it.

| submit.  I will have to study how R uses autotools, because that also seems a
| bit different than I am used to.
|
| I also notice that on Debian you make a soft link of /usr/lib/R/lib/libR.so to
| /usr/lib/libR.so.  Given all that has been discussed, I am unclear why.

Well noticed -- yet a stricly personaly reason via two projects I have been
(co-)authoring: littler and RInside. They both "embed" R via libR and we do
both rpath ("somewhat" verboten by Debian Policy as it hard codes a path,
hence the alternate of placing it where ldd / ldconfig find it).

But please note that that is _me_ doing this, and the R Core gospel we have
been trying for you to understand still stand: __what you insist is needed
actually is not__.

| Thank you for sticking with the thread,

Sorry for coming through as pedantic but you (and we're now at what, six
posts in and counting?)  still start from the wrong (at least outside of the
gilded confines of FreeBSD) premise. It. Just. Works.

Just give us and the unknown-but-sometimes-estimated-to-be-in-the-millions of
R users some credit. What is there __works__. Seriously.  Debian folks are
pendantic for technical excellence __and even they have no issue with
per-package and local shared libraries__.  Which is what this is. Really.

Dirk

http://dirk.eddelbuettel.com | @eddelbuettel | edd at debian.org