[Rd] CRAN packages maintained by you

Thomas Petzoldt thomas.petzoldt at tu-dresden.de
Fri Sep 2 14:54:47 CEST 2016

Hi,

I have the same problem and, at a first look, the issues reported by the
CRAN checks seemed easy to fix. However, after checking it again locally
and on http://win-builder.r-project.org it appeared that GCC 4.9.3
(Windows, Rtools 3.4), same also on win-builder reports even more
issues, especially legacy Fortran (mainly Roger's #2 and #3), but also

"warning: ISO C forbids conversion of object pointer to function pointer
type"

The latter results from using pointers returned by R_ExternalPtrAddr()
for calling user-defined functions in DLLs, cf. the following thread
from the very beginning:
https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-devel/2004-September/030792.html

What is now expected to do?

1. Is it really the intention to start a complete rewrite of all legacy
Fortran code?

2. Is there now a better way for calling user functions than
R_ExternalPtrAddr()?

Many thanks for clarification,

Thomas

Am 28.08.2016 um 23:48 schrieb Roger Koenker:
> Hi Kurt,
>
> I have started to look into this, and I need some guidance about how to
> prioritize my repairs.  There are basically 4 categories of warnings from
> gfortran’s pedantic critique of my packages:
>
> 	1.  Some errant tab characters it doesn’t like,
> 	2.  Too many or too few continue statements
> 	3.  Horrible (and obsolescent) arithmetic and computed gotos
> 	4.  undeclared doubles and dubious conversions
>
> The last category seems relatively easy to fix and is potentially
> important, but the others seem more difficult to fix and altogether
> less important.  The goto issues are all in code that has been written
> long ago by others and imported, e.g. Peyton and Ng’s cholesky.f.
> I’m very reluctant to mess with any of those gotos.  The fact that
> they were declared obsolete long ago doesn’t mean that gfortran
> has any intention of not supporting these constructs in the future,
> does it?
>
> Before devoting more time and energy, which is in short supply
> lately, I like to hear what others are thinking/doing about all this,
> so I’ll copy this to r-devel.
>
> All the best,
> Roger
>
> url:    www.econ.uiuc.edu/~roger            Roger Koenker
> email    rkoenker at uiuc.edu            Department of Economics
> vox:     217-333-4558                University of Illinois
> fax:       217-244-6678                Urbana, IL 61801
>

>> On Aug 28, 2016, at 2:36 AM, Kurt Hornik <Kurt.Hornik at wu.ac.at> wrote:
>>

>> Dear maintainers,
>>
>> This concerns the CRAN packages
>
> ----
>>
>> Using gfortran with options -Wall -pedantic to compile your package
>> Fortran code finds important problems, see your package check pages for
>> more information.
>>
>> Can you please fix these problems as quickly as possible?
>>
>> Best
>> -k

Dr. Thomas Petzoldt
Technische Universitaet Dresden
Faculty of Environmental Sciences
Institute of Hydrobiology
01062 Dresden, Germany

Tel.: +49 351 463 34954
Fax:  +49 351 463 37108
E-Mail: thomas.petzoldt at tu-dresden.de
http://tu-dresden.de/Members/thomas.petzoldt

-- limnology and ecological modelling --